Pedestrian Accidents/Parking Lots and Backover Injuries
When most of us think of pedestrian accidents, we think of crosswalks, sidewalks and intersections. But a disproportionate number of pedestrian accidents occur in parking lots.
Broward Pedestrian Accident Attorney Richard Ansara understands the unique challenges involved in representing victims of pedestrian accidents that occur on private property. Florida is the nation’s most dangerous state when it comes to pedestrian accidents and Miami-Fort Lauderdale is the fourth most dangerous metro area in the nation.
The reasons are many but include an aging population of walkers and drivers, poorly-designed and maintained commercial properties and a lack of emphasis on preventing distracted driving and promoting pedestrian safety.Private Property and Pedestrian Accidents in Fort Lauderdale
When it comes to pedestrian accidents in Broward County that occur on private property, back-over accidents and parking lot accidents often victimize children and the elderly.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports 300 people are killed and 18,000 are injured each year in back-over accidents. Nearly half of these accidents involve children under the age of 5, while one-third involve those over the age of 70. The federal government had proposed requiring all vehicles to become equipped with backup cameras by 2014. However, the government later rescinded the recommendation under intense pressure from the auto industry, which was concerned about cost.
You can stay safer in parking lots by following a few simple tips:
- Allow plenty of reaction time: Slow down as a driver, particularly when turning corners or backing up.
- Expect Pedestrians: As a pedestrian, expect dangers. Too many times pedestrians have a false sense of security in parking lots – where they, in fact, are most at risk.
- Watch for children: Remember parents may be shepherding small children. Some vehicles may make it more difficult to see smaller pedestrians when backing up.
- Give Older Adults Time: Many pedestrian accidents involving older adults occur because the victim is not given enough time to move out of the way.
- Accidents involving private driveways
- Parking lot accidents
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Broken or uneven sidewalks or parking lots
- Faulty handrails or stairwells
- Poorly lit parking lots
- Parking lot assault
- Injuries involving shopping carts
In such cases, it’s important to consult a Fort Lauderdale pedestrian accident attorney as soon as possible. Many times, dangerous or negligent conditions are corrected following an accident. Properly documenting the scene can go a long way toward winning the compensation you deserve for lost wages, medical bills, pain and suffering and other damages.
If you are dealing with a pedestrian accident in Fort Lauderdale, contact The Ansara Law Firm for a free and confidential consultation to discuss your rights. Call our Broward pedestrian accident attorney toll free (888) 267-2728 – 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week. Serving all of Broward County, including Weston, Sunrise, Miramar, Hollywood, Pembroke Pines, Davie and Coral Springs.
Ft. Lauderdale Injury Lawyer - (954) 761-4011 - Free Consultation